Friday, August 21, 2015

Collage Friday: Back From the Beach and Back to the Books!

Happy Friday! You made it! 

Today I am linking up with Homegrown Learners for my first ever "Collage Friday"!  I am sharing with you a peek into my week, which by the way, was the last week of summer vacation for all three of my boys!


Collage Friday at Homegrown Learners
  


Last Saturday we spent all day and part of the evening in the car driving home from Emerald Isle, N.C. We love the beach and especially love the pristine and non-commercialized beaches of Emerald Isle. It was a bear of a trip (and we actually did see a black bear cross the road on our trip home!) and it took me all week to get caught up and back into our summer routine. Just in time for our schedule to change again next week.

Today was a blessing as the two youngest boys and I had lunch with my oldest son who is starting his junior year in college as a history major! Yes, I have three boys, and yes there is a BIG age difference!  

I have one son who starts 4th grade on Monday at our local elementary school and the 3rd grader is getting ready for "Not Back to School" on Monday.  I homeschool year round and both boys work on a modified schedule. My middle son worked this summer on a review of 3rd grade, independent reading, and his multiplication facts as well as writing while I was working with his younger brother.  See, that is what happens when mom is a teacher! 
Actually, I keep it light and fun, so as not to snuff out their love for learning that they have. My 3rd grader started a lap book about North Carolina before vacation, and he will finish next week. We all had a fun time looking through the pictures we took on vacation, especially the one of the jellyfish that my nephew caught.




We love using this "paper tape" that you can stick on book pages to take notes. And it peels right off!



This week my youngest also started using Time 4 Learning for a jump start in math before he begins his Horizon's Math for grade 3. He is enjoying working on the computer and is very independent since math is one of his favorites.  I will be writing a review of our experience with Time 4 Learning, but so far, I am very impressed with how thorough and how motivating the site is! And speaking of math, both boys like using XtraMath for developing fact fluency!


With reading, we have been using a month long free trial subscription to Reading Eggs, which we used before and both my sons enjoy the game-like nature of the site as well as the digital books. I finished a Flat Stanley read-aloud (YAY! for Stanley) and Christopher (the 3rd grader) is reading Humphrey's World of Pets for his independent reading.








So this week has been a transition week for all of us! The boys are excited to start a brand new year, but are not looking forward to getting up early!


More pictures to come next week as we hit the ground running!


Pinterest Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Lauren -- welcome to Collage Friday! I loved reading your post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mary. So nice to "meet" you! :-) Lauren

      Delete
  2. We're not too far from Emerald Isle... we're closer to several other NC beaches though.

    Love having you linking up. I always enjoy seeing what other homeschoolers are up to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just love N.C. beaches! Back in the late 1980's and early '90's we would go to Atlantic Beach. I was so excited when my oldest was looking at colleges in N.C., but then he decided to stay in P.A. Thanks for stopping by! :-) Lauren

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...