Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Week of School and I am Home

School started this week and I am at home.  This is the first time in eight years that I haven't started the school year.  It is also only the second time in 25 years that I haven't started the school year!  Some of you may know that I resigned from my teaching position last spring due to health and personal reasons. Although it was by far not an easy decision to make, I felt called to be home with my family and to devote all of my time and energy to them.  It is a decision that I in no way regret and I am already seeing such positive effects with my boys.  But, it still makes me a little sad and truth be told, I really miss working with my sweet little ones each day!

However, I have been busy, as you can imagine a mother to three boys is!  I also have created and updated some of my resources and want to share that with you.

First up, I added a few more pages to my Lunch Box Love Notes that I created last year.

My two youngest boys are in first and second grades.  I made these cute little fish tags (as seen on Pinterest!) and stapled them to a little bag of Goldfish for the first day of school.  It was a BIG hit with the boys!


Today I slipped in a little KitKat bar into their lunch box for dessert and taped the "sweet day" note (see above) onto the bar.  I have (19) pages of notes for all seasons. My seven year old will often write me a short note and return it to me at the end of the day!  Click here to download the newly revised file~ it's a FREEBIE!!  In addition, many of these can also be used by teachers to give a little, encouraging "happy note" to their students.

Although my boys love to learn and to read, I often have to take a round-about and rather sneaky approach to get them to work on their math facts or complete their nightly reading.  Here's what I often do:  I will randomly place an activity packet or book on the kitchen table, their desk, or the coffee table.  Their curiosity will take over and they will ask about it.  I guess it is a control thing, but they are more willing to play an educational game or read if it is their idea and they initiate it.

Take Shuna P's Gangnam Math Facts activity/game.  My boys have been obsessed with "Gangnam Style" for what seems like all their young lives.  This game was SO MUCH fun to play with my second grader!  I SO wanted to video him dancing, but he would not let me.  He was very engaged and even wanted to solve my math facts cards.  If you haven't checked this out, click the link above.  It's a hoot!




Silly dancing!


Another thing I will do is place books on a plate stand and place on the coffee table- right beside the remote control where they are sure to see it!  At least one of the books is sure to grab their attention and they will most likely start reading or ask me to read to them!




One such book that my boys LOVED was Jack Prelutsky's My Parents Think I'm Sleeping.  A book of bedtime poems, once again this beloved Poet Laureate shows us that he still remembers what it is like to be a kid!  With titles like "Chocolate Cake" and "When I'm Very Nearly Sleeping", my children loved reading aloud with me and giggled themselves to sleep!  If you want to check it out, click the link below!




It's been a productive week so far, and my boys are adjusting to living in a new town, a new home, and attending public school for the first time.  Silliness prevails in our house!




Have a blessed day... you're half way through the week!

Pinterest Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Thanks so much for the shout out. Seriously like every time my kiddos play the game they bust out dancing!

    It is the funniest thing ever. Glad your little enjoyed the game

    Shuna
    Pocket Full of Kinders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! We played (3) rounds and he begged to play more! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...