Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Summer Writing With Little Learners

Before our big move (more on that in another post), I had a chance to use my August Writing Prompts with my boys.  My two sons, ages six and seven, are my "guinea pigs" when it comes to "field testing" my products.  We have spent a lot of time reading this summer, but I needed something fun and "summery" to keep my little writers' skills sharp.  With that in mind, I designed and created a set of writing prompts for August that can be used at home or in the classroom whether you are back to school or still on summer break.



Included in this packet:
  • (22) writing prompts
  • (12) stationery sheets to use for your own writing prompts or to take one of the prompts to final copy
  • Lots of room to write and draw
  • A variety of writing purposes: opinion, informative, how-to, narrative, lists, labeling
  • A variety of large and small lines for writing
  • Use as a journal (cover page is included) or place prompts in a writing center

Cover page for journal




Getting our supplies ready to write!


Both my boys wanted to try out the "writer's choice" writing prompt.  My six year old donned his "smart glasses" to help him write! I use plastic plates from the Dollar Store and an Expo marker to help him with writing words and the date.  You'll notice the letter "P" written on the plate. He told me he confused "9" with "P", so I grabbed that teachable moment and we had a mini-lesson!


 My seven year old decided to draw and label his Minecraft picture!




If you are in school, I included school -themed prompts such as this one for the first day of school:


And there are prompts for special days in August such as National S'mores Day!



 And that is just a little glimpse as to how I used my writing prompts packet at home! If you are interested in seeing the listing, stop on over at my TeachersPayTeachers store to see the preview.

I'm working on my September prompts packet.  What types of prompts would you like me to include?  Leave me a comment!

Enjoy!



Pinterest Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...