Thursday, May 2, 2013

S'more Word Work! FREEBIE for You!

It seems as though I have been working on my latest literacy packet for years now.  I'm in the middle of proofreading and polishing it, but I got a little side tracked with the on-line class I'm taking, getting ready to move, and life in general. But, it's all good~ especially when there is chocolate involved!!

Smores

 So, in the meantime, I wanted to share with you a sneak preview of my "S'more Dolch Phrases" literacy packet that should be available soon.  It contains word work activities for the last (50)phrases.  If you are interested in the first (100) Dolch phrases, check out my Peeps In A Basket.


This (30) page packet includes literacy centers, word recognition, writing, phrase building and more- all with a fun s'more theme!

Graphics courtesy of:  Scrappin Doodles, Lettering Delights, Ms. Fultz's Corner, My Cute Graphics.  Font:  A Cupcake for the Teacher

The FREEBIE that I have for you is a "Roll and Say" activity that I designed for use with a student that I tutor.  However, you may use it in a word work center, in a small group, or send home for extra practice.  It contains two pages of phrases.  The student(s) roll a die and say the phrase that corresponds with the number rolled.  You can extend the learning to more than just recognition by having the student use the word in a sentence about camping, s'mores, etc.  There is a recording sheet as well for students to write a phrase and use in a sentence.

You can grab this FREEBIE from Google Drive by clicking the picture below:

   
Teaching students to read sight words within the context of phrases cannot be overstated.  I like to guide students, especially my struggling readers in kindergarten and first grade, to learn the word in isolation, then in a phrase, and finally within a sentence.  We know the importance of direct instruction, teaching sight words in isolation, but the word we teach should always be placed back within a text, first at the sentence level and then within a text/book.  In addition, teaching students to read in phrases fosters what good, fluent readers do:  they read in phrases and not word-by-word.

If you use this little activity, please let me know your feedback!  It will be part of my S'more Phrases packet that I hope and pray I get listed by the weekend! 

Enjoy! 

Freebie Fridays

4 comments:

  1. Just saved the freebie - thank you! I'm looking forward to the whole unit!

    Sarah
    Learning is for Superstars
    Learning is for Superstars is on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah! For thirty pages, this one just took awhile, but I really like it and so did the kids I used it with! Thanks for stopping by! :-) Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    Those are super cute! But I swung by here because I was visiting michelle ( 3am teacher)'s blog and saw your wonderful encouraging post. Love those songs you listed! God is good.
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky! Yes, God is SO good... ALL the time! Thanks for stopping by. :-) Lauren

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...