Sunday, April 14, 2013

DEAR? Or SQUIRT? Independent Reading FREEBIES!

Whether you do Guided Reading, Daily 5, Reader's Workshop, literacy centers, or a combination,we know the value of independent reading. We know how vital it is for students to have uninterrupted time to read to themselves for enjoyment, to practice and apply skills and strategies learned in the classroom, and to learn that reading is a life-long skill.


This little kinder sweetheart allowed me to interrupt her
reading and responding.
 We love Skippy Jon Jones!


Some may call independent reading D.E.A.R., S.Q.U.I.R.T, D.I.R.T., S.U.R.F., S.S.R., Read to Self, but no matter what cute name or acronym you use, the fact remains that it is vital that we allocate silent reading time and lots of it during the day for our little book worms!

April 12 was National D.E.A.R. DayCheck out this website for instructional ideas including FREE printables and how to celebrate all month long!  This week (April 14-20) is also National Library Week! Check our ALA's site for information and ideas of how you can celebrate.

Are you wondering for what the above named acronyms stand?  Check out this little eight page FREEBIE I created that includes mini-posters for various independent reading names.







Click here to download the freebie from Google Drive. Also included is a reader response form and stationery sheets for students to write and draw about their reading.

My colleague and BFF, who also just happens to be my son's first grade teacher is a doing an author study on Tedd Arnold. She does a read-aloud and then places the book in the classroom library for independent reading.  I'll share two titles that she told me kids are gobbling up, but first here is a pic of us. I have dubbed her the "Queen" of reading!


The Queen on the left and me on the right!
Ok, if you're looking for new books to add to your classroom library for read to self time, check out Tedd Arnold.  First and second graders will love him!






Enjoy the freebies and let me know what you call independent reading time!

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I love the posters you created- we do this at our school too (SSR), but I think for next year we might just have to change the name to something more fun based on the posters you shared. Thanks a bunch!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aylin! We used to call it SSR or DEAR, but I like SQUIRT the best! Thanks for stopping by! :-) Lauren

      Delete
  2. Many teachers at our school call it DEAR, but I have just called it silent reading. I like the SQUIRT as I have lots of boys and I can see them finding that amusing. Of course, we would have to get past all the jokes and laughing before they would start to read. Thanks for the posters.

    Charlene/Diamond Mom
    www.diamondmomstreasury.weebly.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene- When I taught middle school, we called it SSR, but I introduced them to SQUIRT and they loved. Silly, yes! Thanks for stopping by! :-) Lauren

      Delete
  3. Love love this!! I posted to Maniac Monday as well.

    Check me out at www.teacherplayground.com

    Thanks,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVIN' these posters! My fivers are wild for silent reading time. They will get a kick out of DIRT and SQUIRT... LOL! Thanks for sharing!

    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...