Friday, March 8, 2013

Sugar Scrub For St. Patrick's Day


Sugar, Sugar! Since before Christmas, I have been researching and experimenting with homemade sugar scrubs. I made peppermint scrub and olive oil, brown sugar, and oatmeal scrubs for myself and as gifts. If you have dry, red, itchy, sensitive skin like me, these scrubs work wonders!  Use them for your hands and as a body scrub. I even used the olive oil scrub on my face and noticed almost immediate results of soft, smooth skin.

There are many recipes available on the Internet. I make my own concoction for the sugar scrubs.  You really can't go wrong with the measurements.  Here's how I made my St. Patty's Day sugar scrub:


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar cane (plain old sugar!)
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • A few drops of green food coloring
  • About 10 drops of essential oil




  I found organic coconut oil at Walmart. Not only is this oil great to use for cooking, but it works wonders as a moisturizer for your hands and body.  Just a hint: I place the oil in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until it is in liquid form.
In a large bowl, mix the oil and the sugar until it is the consistency of wet sand.  Add more oil or sugar as needed. I added a few drops of green food coloring to get a light, spring-like green color.  Mix well.


Don't worry, the food coloring does not stain your hands when using the scrub!  Last, I added the fragrance oil. You can also use an essential oil such as lavender.  I used this brand of fragrance that I found at Hobby Lobby ("Relaxed" scent).  You can also find essential oil at health food stores. Mix well one last time.



I placed the sugar scrub in pretty containers. This recipe made enough to fill two containers.




Simple and easy to make A pretty and functional gift!  I keep a jar of this in the powder room to use a few times a day.  Just place a small amount on your hands, add a few drops of warm water, scrub, and rinse.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...