Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Love One Another

I just realized today that it has almost been a week since I last blogged.  This past week has been a blur.  I finished a new packet for my Christian school and home school friends.  I wanted to add more to it but ran out of time.  Scrambled Scriptures is a fun activity for learning, reviewing, and memorizing Bible verses that have to do with love... perfect for Valentine's Day!  There are five verses~ more than enough for each week in February, or to use the week of Valentine's Day, one verse per day.  I included stationery sheets and a visualizing sheet for each verse.  I included my favorite verses;  if you have a suggestion for other verses leave me a comment and I will add to the packet!  ♥

 

The 3rd worst migraine I have ever had started on Friday and by Saturday afternoon I was incapacitated. Thankfully, I was better by Sunday to celebrate my son's 6th birthday ( a few days early!).  I also managed to finish reading Wuthering Heights (I'm a huge Bronte sisters fan!) for the 5th time.  It's hard to believe that I last read it back in 1989 when I was a senior in college. As I was reading, I had flashbacks of lazy Sunday afternoons spent in my dorm relishing my stack of Victorian novels!  What drama... and heartache... and passion... and melodrama...  and unforsaken love.

Speaking of love, which seems to be the theme of this post, my heart has been heavy thinking about loved ones I know that are suffering. This includes adults and children who are limping through life while trying to cope with some really tough stuff.  I am reminded of a book our school staff read a few years ago titled FisA Proven Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results by Lundin, Paul, and Christensen.

 Front Cover
 


 One of the take-aways I gleaned was the idea to "make someone's day". How often during the day do we see a colleague or a student or both that look a little (or a lot) out of sorts?  Or, are we so consumed with the demands of our day that we do not even notice?  If we do notice, what do we do to show love and compassion?  One simple smile, hug, word of encouragement or praise could really make some one's day.  How about writing a note and placing on a desk or in a mailbox with a small piece of candy?  Hey, that would make my day! With kids, sometimes just acknowledging that they seem to be struggling can make all the difference.  

My six year old has been having a rough time lately and is prone to major temper tantrums and outbursts.  Sometimes, I have to resist the very.strong.urge to give him a consequence for his apparent defiance and temper... sometimes, he just needs me to hug him, tell him I love him, and to say, "You are really having a bad day, aren't you?"  He practically melts in my arms and later we get to chat about his worries and frustrations.

As women, mothers, and teachers, we tend to be "fixers".  We want to solve problems and do it fast.  As least I do.  Sometimes a problem cannot be fixed.  Sometimes all that can be done is to just listen, and to help the person accept the situation and learn how to respond and not react. Not exactly easy and it can take years to reach this point.  It's at this time, that a little act of kindness, doing something small to "make someone's day" can touch the heart of another in a major way.

Currently, I'm working on a Valentine's packet for kindergarten and first grade.  I'm in the middle of a little story I'm writing and my hope is to share this message with my little ones.  Love is not just about candy hearts and parties... love is a part of ourselves that we give to another.

The first page of my little story!
 
Here's a challenge for all of us... find someone today who needs some encouragement.  What can you do to "make their day"?  Leave a comment with your ideas or what you plan to do. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...