Wednesday, December 26, 2012

It's (almost) A Brand New Year! Fun Literacy Packet!

I hope you all had a very special and memorable Christmas Day!  Here in PA, the snow started falling on Christmas Eve day, and my boys were so. very. excited to have a White Christmas! For those in the path of yesterday's tornadoes, I pray that you are safe.

Today we had a little of everything:  snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain, and wind.  I stayed in my pj's all day and was able to finish my New Year's literacy packet! Of course it helped tremendously that my my sweet husband cooked breakfast AND dinner!

  
As with all my products, my "It's A Brand New Year" packet was designed for use with small groups, specifically for reading intervention instruction.  However, the activities are flexible enough to use for whole class, in literacy centers, and for independent work.


The highlight of the packet is the two page original nonfiction article I wrote about New Year's Eve and Day.  I included text features (bold words, subheadings, fact box), active reading prompts at the bottom of each page, and some context clues for the nine Tier 2 vocabulary words. The reading level is appropriate for on-level second graders, advanced first graders (my first grade son read it with 98% accuracy. He reads at a Guided Reading level of L/M), and third graders reading below level.

Also included are vocabulary and writing activities~ a narrative prompt and a two page goal-setting and reflection graphic organizer. Aligned to CCSS!

 If you think you may be interested, you can hop on over to my TpT store to see the listing.  It is on SALE at a 50% discount and is only $1.50 now through the weekend!

My hope is that by sharing this, it will make your first week back in the New Year a little bit easier!

12/29/12 Update:  Head on over to my Facebook page to learn how you can win this item for FREE!  Winner will be selected this afternoon, 12/29/12.

****  12/29/12 evening Update: My 7 year old son selected a random number out of a hat and chose #4.  Congrats to Cindy, who had the #4 blog comment! You are the winner of my New Years packet.  Woot!  I sent you an email with the PDF file.  Enjoy!

Also, come join the New Year's linky fun at Teaching Is A Gift~ lots of ideas for when you return to school!  Click the button below.


Teachingisagift
  
 Have a relaxing week as you enjoy a much-deserved break from school.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a great packet! I will be watching the fireworks with my kiddies!

    rmariemuniz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on going over my friend's house for a game night full of laughs and great food. Of course, I will stay up until midnight to watch the fireworks.
    beth.shavelson@browardschools.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun! I spent so much time searching for something just like this for my third graders! I may have to grab it! We will be traveling to the East Coast of Virginia to spend our annual New Year's with my husband's college friends and their kids. It is always super fun!!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars
    readerstars@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be at home.....

    Cindy
    ccfirstteacher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this looks super! Very intrigued! Crossing my fingers! Lisa
    Growingfirsties@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll be at the happiest place on earth, according to my sons (their grandparents' house), playing their favorite games to celebrate the New Year. Happy New Year to you! mrsjprince(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be bringing in the new year with my daughters at home... nothing too exciting just a night with family. amandalawson4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Packet looks fun! We will be watching fireworks and counting down with the neighbors

    Azoreo9@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...