Monday, December 10, 2012

Candy Cane Brownies

I love candy canes and all things peppermint. Peppermint Patties, peppermint tea, peppermint mochas (but only from Starbucks!), mint gum, Starlight mints, mint toothpaste. I can eat candy canes all year long.  I think you get the picture!


My love for peppermint inspired me to accomplish two things this week. I need to preface this post by stating that I am not a cook, chef, baker, nor a Rachel Ray or Martha Stewart poser.  Sometimes I enjoy cooking and baking, but I'm not all that good. For my family's sake, I cook dinner almost every night and enjoy baking with my almost six year old who is more than willing to help me.  The other day, I wanted to make brownies for our family Christmas movie fun night. In the pantry I had dark chocolate brownie mix and as I glanced at the Christmas tree, I had an idea!  This is not a new idea and certainly not earth-shattering or Pinterest worthy, but we had fun!


To begin, my "helper" and I prepared the brownies according to the package directions.



While the brownies were baking, we prepared the candy canes that we would use as the topping. I used my mini-dough roller to crush the candy canes into fine pieces. I placed four candy canes in a large freezer bag, zipped it shut, of course, and let my little one start pounding away!




After the brownies cooled, my little man sprinkled the candy cane bits over the top.



I love the combination of the dark chocolate and peppermint and the crunchy texture it provides!



These were as yummy as they look, are so easy to make, and are quite festive!

Now, onto my second accomplishment of the week!  I finally finished my candy cane-inspired literacy packet!


With (60) Christmas/holiday word cards, there are so many ways you can use this packet!  I included sorting mats and recording sheets for nouns (common and proper), verbs, adjectives, and compound words. Also included are writing prompts such as design your own candy cane and make a list of ten things you can do with a candy cane. This makes for a sweet addition to your literacy centers!






Want to see more?  Click here to see the listing in my TpT store! 

Have a great week!!
 

5 comments:

  1. My favorite holiday treat would be my frosted Christmas sugar cookies. I even use toothpicks to help me decorate.
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori! Ah, yes I am a big sugar cookie addict too! Not sure if I could handle the toothpick, as my fine motor skills aren't all that good! Merry Christmas to you! :-) Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making fudge and divinity (candy) for Christmas time! Yum!

    ~Wendy
    sdwd727@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a sweet tooth, but at Christmas my favorite treat is fruit salad made from my Mom's special recipe.
    jkmatuch@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That'll be Mrs Fields' snickerdoodle cookies!

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...