Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thanksgiving With Jack Prelutsky!


One of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions is to read It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky, a little book stuffed with (12) holiday poems. Who doesn't love his witty, silly, clever, and down right entertaining poems?  Plus Prelutsky is the first Children's Poet Laureate!

 Kids love them and so do parents and teachers. This little book of (12) poems is very special to me.  My parents bought the book for my oldest son (who is now a freshman in college- YIKES!) w-a-y back in 1996.  Ever since then, I have been sharing Prelutsky's holiday verse with my students and more recently with my two youngest sons.
 It's Thanksgiving! (I Can Read Book 3)


One of my favorite poems is "The First Thanksgiving".  Filled with rich vocabulary and a bit of humor, this poem is perfect for comparing with nonfiction texts about Pilgrims and Native Americans!  Illustrations by Marylin Hafner are appealing to kids and complement the poems beautifully.

Many aspects of Thanksgiving are covered in the poems:  special activities at school, parades, the wishbone, football, and leftovers!  I have used this little book with kids from preschool to grade 6 and they loved it!  It's great for a read-aloud with preschool and primary kids; older kids enjoy shared and choral reading.

 Click the pic below to grab a FREE handout you can use with students for visualizing.  During and after a read-aloud, have students draw their "mind pictures".  It is fun to share these pictures with the class and then compare to the illustrations in the book.






  
 Adorable graphics by KPM Doodles.  Fonts are by Rowdy in Room 300.  I just downloaded her cutie fonts for FREE yesterday!

Be sure to check out Jack Prelutsky's fun, fun website

Are there any other Thanksgiving poems you read and recommend? I'd love to read your suggestions!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. My favorite Thanksgiving poem is another by Jack Prelutsky- "The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven." I can never remember which book it is in. Although the poem is difficult, it has absolutely fantastic vocabulary (ricocheted, demolished). It's a treasure trove of past tense verbs. I have my 2nd graders highlight the -ed words and then we sort them by what the -ed sounds like in each word. It's a great poem and lesson. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon- I totally forgot about that one! The -ed ending is a great teaching point. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing! :-) Lauren

      Delete
  2. I like this poetry book too! I just dug mine out on Friday. Thanks for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! My 7 yr old and I took turns reading poems this afternoon. Fun! Lauren

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...