Monday, October 29, 2012

Random Cabin Fever Ramblings and FREEBIES!


October sure has been memorable here in PA the last two years!  The above picture was taken last October 29 after a rare autumn snow storm!  This year we are feeling Hurricane Sandy's wrath even though we are hundreds of miles from the coast.  Yikes!

So, I have been basically house bound since Friday.  I have been battling migraine headaches and my youngest has had the stomach bug since Friday night.  Then today, we all stayed in pj's all day as we had a "hurricane day"!  However, we are all feeling better, we have power (thus far), and are safe.  As my favorite cat would say, "It's all good!".

When I haven't been napping or baking, I have been working on a few new items.  I added this main idea graphic organizer to my Every Vote Counts packet.  It is aligned with the CCSS for identifying the key idea and details in informational text.  Click the picture below to grab a free copy from Google Drive.

 
I also created these sound mats to use with my kindergarten and first grade students.  If you are familiar with sound boxes, these are used in a similar way.  I use them to help my little ones develop phonemic awareness and to hear sounds in the beginning, middle, and end of words.  For instance, I will say the word "map".  Students have to place a marker (I use the flat decorative marbles) on the correct picture to show me where they hear the /p/ sound.  They would put the marble on the last pumpkin. These are also great for segmenting, blending and connecting sounds.  Laminate them or place in sheet protector.  Use an expo marker to write a word (one letter in each box) and have students push the marble from left to right.
Graphics: KPM Doodles and Scrappin Doodles
Click here to grab all three mats for FREE in my TpT store!

The wind is getting wild and I need to go batten down a few more hatches.  If you are in Sandy's path, I pray you stay safe!
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

1 comment:

  1. I love the pumpkin mat. I printed it at 2 per page and am using them as wipe off sheets in my Daily 5 literacy centers. The kids can write the letter sounds right on the pumpkins. Thanks!

    gwhizteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...