Thursday, October 18, 2012

Guided Reading in Kindergarten

This year I'm teaching two kindergarten reading intervention groups.  One is in a push-in setting and the other is a pull-outMy sweet little kinders have amazed me with their passion for literacy.  Books excite them.  Highlighters excite them.  Expo markers and reading pointers excite them.  Stickers excite them.  I love and thrive on their contagious enthusiasm!  They beg for me to read to them!  Just this week, I snapped a few pictures as they were "shopping" for books for their take- home reading.  They take this choosing a "good fit" book very seriously!




In my reading groups, I use a variety of pre-decodable books from our Treasures reading series, readinga-z, Scholastic, projectable books, and ones that I make myself.  Many times, a kinder will want to take home a picture book for a parent to read to them, which, of course, I highly support.  However, I also think it is very important that they also  daily read  a book on their easy level.  I like to include printable books for them to take home, read, color, highlight sight words, and keep in their "Book Box" for rereading at home.  The printable/paper books I send home are usually ones that we have read together in small group.  The students are so eager to take the books home to read to their parents!

Last week, I wrote two new printable sight word books for them to use this week and next.  I wanted books that coordinated with a predictable book we read from Scholastic, the sight words they have learned thus far, and autumn.  

One book I wrote is "At the Zoo" and the other is "In the Fall".  They are both part of my Playdough/Tracing Mats for Sight Words packet.  



 "In the Fall" is a printable sight word book for emergent readers that I wrote for my little ones. I needed a book that would allow for extra practice using picture clues and initial letters.  The book also introduces students to plural nouns.



Written in a predictable pattern, this little book is perfect for beginner readers in kindergarten or first grade. Perfect for teaching one-to-one matching, using picture clues, initial letters/visual cues, and beginning cross checking behaviors.

The black and white clip art by Scrappin Doodles and KPM Doodles. Kids love to color the book after reading!

Target Sight words: we, see ,like
Book is 10 pages, including the cover!


 You can grab your FREE copy of "In the Fall" on Google Drive or in my TpT store.


Freebie Fridays


What books do you use for guided reading in kindergarten or first grade?  

Hang in there!  It's almost Friday!

 

6 comments:

  1. I hope that you don't mind, but I just Boo-ed your wonderful blog! You can check out the link to the linky on my blog :-)
    Teach With Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that is what startled me! LOL Thanks for the "boo"!!! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! I can't wait to use it!
    Great to be linked up with you again!

    Irene
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lauren... it's Faith from Kindergarten Faith. This little book is great!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Faith! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. I'm so glad to find another Christian blogger! :-) Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...