Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fun With Firsties! Fluency, Blends, and Visualizing!

What is not to love about a firstie?  I work with two first grade groups every day and even live with one (my middle son is in 1st grade).  They are just so stinkin' cute, entusiastic, fun, and have such a zest for life!

This week we reviewed our "lightning words" for the week, which are posted on my focus Wall.  We use the Dolch list and the weekly sight words from the Treasures series.  I added the word "saw" because many were confusing the word with "was"Some of the strategies I have used to help students is saying the letters out loud as they point to each letter, tracing with a finger, left to right analysis ( looking at all letters from the beginning to end of the word), air writing, and using meaning, visual, and syntax clues.

Sight word cards are available in my store!

 Our reading comprehension strategy was visualizing.  We are still working on making sure we use the word clues to make our mind picture/movie accurate. Some students are still wanting to copy an illustration from the story or to embellish and add details that are not in the text.  So, we still have work to do, but they enjoyed the visualizing activity that is part of Jodi Southard's September Poems and Songs packet.  I love Jodi's fluency packets and so do my students!  We start each small group session with reading or singing one of her poems!  So, so good for developing fluency!


Some students took me up on my offer that if they completed their Columbus Day packet,they could get a treat from my prize box.  We ran out of time last week to completely finish the packet.  This small activity is available in my store here.






Finally, we reviewed initial blends from last week using my Smoothie Blends activity.  Then, I projected the fluency poem on the Smart Board to have students search for rhyming words and words with blends.




 And that is just a little glimpse into my very enjoyable week with my firsties!

If you missed Thursday's post, hop on over here to grab some fall freebies!

Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I love the "smoothie blends." I am going to have to check that out for my daughter. I am your newest follower.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Andrea! My son was the inspiration for the Smoothie blends! Lauren

      Delete
  2. You have been boo'ed! Stop by my blog to join in the fun!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...