Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hoot! The Owls Are Back!

A week or so ago, I wrote about a small FREEBIE owl packet that I created. It contained mini-posters with my HOOT WISE OWLS acrostic poems and a writing activity.  You can read about that here.

Last Friday, as I was wrapping up our writing/language lessons in second grade, I had the students work on this reflective activity. I asked students to think about their first week of school.  What did they do well?  What were they proud of?  What did they learn?  What did they want to HOOT! about?  As soon as I showed them the owl template that they would color and decorate, they were so excited!

We brainstormed a list of our accomplishments on the white board. Some students commented that they had learned new science facts, some had made new friends, some had outstanding behavior, and some were proud that they were able to write a complete sentence on their own.  These are just a few of their ideas!

Owl graphics: www.scrappindoodles.com





After students wrote their sentences, they decorated their owls to reflect their personalities and favorite colors and designs.  Then, they cut out the owl and attached it to their writing stationery.


We had time for a few authosr to share their writing, and then we displayed them in the hallway as a surprise for their teacher who was returning on Monday!



Some graphics by KPM Doodles:  http://www.teachersnotebook.com/shop/kpmdoodles

We had much fun and learned a little about each other. Plus, by reflecting, students were able to celebrate their accomplishments.  If you like this activity, you can click here to read more and grab your FREE copies of the writing activity!

HOOT!  It's almost Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this at TBA and linking up! I'm your latest follower!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith’s Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fern! TBA is just incredible and I'm learning so much from all the talented authors! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I love this! Definitely using it this week! So glad I found your blog!

    Olivia
    Liv to Teach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi olivia, thank you for your compliment! I so admire your work and your kind words really mean a lot! I loved using this activity especially when I saw some of my kiddos with little confidence and low self-esteem light up when they had something to "hoot" about! Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...