Monday, August 20, 2012

Wise Owls-Posters & Writing: My Gift to You!

Last week while lounging pool side (which comes to a screeching halt in 2 days!), I had a brainstorm (which are few and far between these days). My new theme for my classroom is owls with a little bit of popcorn thrown in.  Strange, I know.  But once I explain it will make perfect sense; I'll tell you about that later once I have my classroom completely set up.  :-)

Anyway, I wanted to create a few motivational mini-posters using an acrostic for my classroom. I used the words WISE, OWLS, and HOOT.  I created an acrostic poem for each word.  


This one reminds my students of good, Godly character that is expected in our school.  I teach in a private Christian school where Bible teaching and principles are integrated into all curricular areas.  I also made a more secular one for use in public schools:





Here is a reminder for my wise owlets of some beginning of the year reading strategies I teach.

And finally, a little motivational poster to let all those cuties in my nest know how much I love them, believe in them, and support them!


The whimsical graphics are from KPM Doodles.
I adore her work and her unique, fun style!!

From there, I designed a quick, simple quick write and owl topper for students to complete the first week of school.  I only have a small amount of time with my intervention students. This quick write will allow students to share something about themselves that they are proud of (a character trait, talent, an accomplishment).  I will use it to assess their writing skills.  Finally, they will decorate the owl template to reflect their personality using favorite colors and designs. This also relates to the grade one, unit one, Treasures reading program theme of "We Are Special". Have students share their writing and owl as a "get to know you" activity and to create a community of learners!

Finally, I included a short poem I wrote to inspire my students as we begin the school year!

I began my blogging adventure in May, and have met so many wonderful friends.  I am so very thankful for all of my followers and appreciate you all!  You have taught me many new things, shared creative ideas, and have inspired me to be a better teacher!  Recently, I hit the 200+ followers milestone.  My goal was a 100 followers by the end of August, but thanks to you, I surpassed that!  
As a token of my appreciation, please click here to grab your FREE copy of my owl writing packet!

May you have a fun and smooth start to your school year!

5 comments:

  1. these are lovely, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! Thanks for stopping by! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gifts collection was great and ideas was perfect for Send gifts to Pakistan to teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this. I am sure my girls will love doing this activity. :o)

    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Deborah. I hope you all enjoy the owls! Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...