Saturday, June 23, 2012

Using My Noodle!


Well, I was all set to take a little bloggy break this weekend, but then the boys and I went to the dollar store.  And in the dollar store were all these noodles.  You know the ones- the pool noodles.  Now, that is not what I went there for.  Actually I went to get clip boards and a few other materials I need to make a few things for my boys and for my students.  But then I saw the noodles.  And then I remembered something my dear friend, Wanda, briefly told me about on the last day of school about noodles.

She had just returned from a workshop.  I don't even remember what kind of workshop it was or who the presenter was.  What I do remember is that she learned how to make letter holders out of noodles for making words.  And that is why she had several noodles in her classroom.  Here, I thought she was going to the pool to celebrate the last day of school!

So I filed that intriguing tidbit away and then remembered it today!  Of course I bought a noodle and thought about it all day!  I use Cunningham and Hall's Making Words for kindergarten and first grade in my intervention groups. Love it!




My letter holders are not fancy.  I use a file folder as the authors suggest and sometimes I use magnetic mats if I am using magnetic letters.  But, now I can use a noodle.  Well, at least part of one!  I wasn't exactly sure how to do it... I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut a 9.5" strip. Then I cut a slit in the top from end to end.

 

 I placed letters in the slit and there you go!  A cute little making words holder!  So then my husband came home and wondered why dinner wasn't made and why I was cutting noodles.  I asked if he could grab a pair of box cutters and I made these-


I found this idea in my search today when I wanted to see what else was out there (and there is a LOT!). I cut little circles and added letters with a Sharpie.   Kids can lace them on a piece of yarn in order, play matching games, make words-  the possibilities are endless!  And they have a neat texture that will appeal to kids!

So, I thank my friend Wanda for sharing this with me.  I wasn't planning this today, but I'm so glad I did!

Please let me know how you use your noodle!

Have a super duper weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I love that! But does the noodle rock back and forth? Really great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question! I placed a marker behind the noodle and that worked well to steady it. I'm also going to use the noodle as a card holder (for Uno, game cards) and for sight word and vocab cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea! So cute! I think you may like some ideas on my site. Oh, and I'm doing a giveaway very soon so make sure you join my site!

    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...