Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tic-Tac-Toe

So, I had about a million different ideas for today's blog post... I'm trying to stay ahead of the game and write posts in between working on new units.  Today I start my babysitting gig.  I'll be watching my 4 nephews plus my two boys.  Yes, you read that correctly- 6 boys!!!!!!  So, if I don't blog for awhile, you'll know why!  Seriously, I love my boys and look forward to our adventures!


Anyway, so, I had a topic already, and then decided on Tic-Tac-Toe. No, not that one!  Have you ever had kids play using their sight words ( or "lightning" words, as I call them) instead of using an X or O??  It's great fun and reinforces spelling and recognition of the target words. This is also great fun for spelling words!  What I do is make several Tic-Tac-Toe boards and laminate them.  Students pair up and use the overhead projector markers or dry erase ones to write on the boards.  I have also used the small white boards to make the game boards.  I give all pairs the same words, or sometimes, I assign words based on individual needs.  I have used it as young as kindergarten and kids love it!  Each child is assigned a word.  So, if I were your partner, I may have the word "can" and you may have the word "who".  You write your word in the blocks, trying to get 3 in a row.  Once there is a winner, then the kids switch words.

I have used this with my intervention groups and with my kindergarten enrichment groups. It's also great for when working 1-1 with a student.  It's simple, practical, costs nothing to make, and is a bit of old fashioned fun!  Once we are finished working with the words in isolation, it is always important to put the words back into context, whether it is using the words in sentences, illustrating the words, searching for them in our book, reading the room, playing Guess the Covered Word, etc.


Now, I have another Tic-Tac-Toe activity, but I will save that for tomorrow.


Have a wonderful Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...