Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hoppin' Back To School!

Okay, I know that it is summer vacay... my goodness, some of you may still be in school!  But, I had this little brainstorm last week and wanted to share it with you!


I was thinking of ways to help teachers implement/launch Daily 5 or centers, their routines, procedures, all the while getting to know the students and building a classroom community.  I thought about the plethora of ice-breaker activities that I have used over the years.  The M&M activity is still one of my favorites.  If you don't know what it is, leave me a comment and I will share how I used it.


Anyway, so I've been making lots of games this summer to keep my young sons occupied on rainy days and to make practicing speech therapy homework fun. This is where the little brainstorm comes in!  I had an idea to create a board game that would have question cards with ice-breaker type of questions for small groups to play. I wanted a meaningful activity that would allow students to practice working in groups, centers, or stations.  While playing the game, they would share about themselves, learn about their new friends, and practice the expected behaviors and learn procedures such as transitions, voice level, stamina, and more!


Hoppin' Back To School is the game that I came up with and just listed it in my TPT storeI used the adorable frog clip art from www.scrappindoodles.com 

Click on the first pic below to see the listing and a preview.








This game includes 28 question cards for students to answer and share a little about themselves. Questions include "What is your favorite color?"," Name three things your teacher can do this year to make learning fun", and "What did you eat for breakfast?".

The questions promote self-reflection and some acquaint students to the classroom layout ( "Where is the pencil sharpener?") and class rules ("What should you do if you have a question and the teacher is busy?")


 The packet includes a recording sheet where students record answers to any (10) of the cards so you can learn a little about them as well and teach accountability. A Venn Diagram is included as an extension activity for students to compare themselves to another friend in the class.

I "toadily" ( sorry, I couldn't resist!) cannot wait to use this game this coming school year!  Depending on the age level and reading ability, I think this game could be used as young as kindergarten, especially if you are fortunate enough to have an aid to help!

Speaking of frogs, hop on over to my pad store to grab your freebie for today!  It's a "Froggy Fluency" mini-poster to remind students of what their reading should sound like!
 
 Have a fun first day of summer!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a GREAT and FUN game! I want to play!! :) I just added it to my wish list :) Thanks for sharing!
    Tori
    Tori's Teacher Tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tori!!! Thanks so much for stopping by! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love frogs and I have that clip art too! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added this to my wishlist on TPT! I know my kids will L.O.V.E. this!
    Thank you!
    Amy
    Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...