Friday, June 29, 2012

Get a Job!

 When I first started my blog one month and three days ago (not that I'm counting!), my intention was to write about a variety of topics related to motherhood and of course teaching! Over the course of this blogging adventure, I've written many teaching-related posts.  Today is one related to motherhood, but it could easily be adapted to school as well, especially if you use any kind of economy system.


My two youngest boys are 6.5 and 5.5 years old. Since they could toddle around, my husband and I expected them to help with family "jobs" such as cleaning up toys, throwing away trash, helping to set the table, etc.  One of their favorites was the "beat the timer" game where I would set the oven timer for say five minutes and see if they could pick up all their toys before the timer went off.  Another favorite is a race game where they would compete with each other to see who could put away the most toys.  My boys love competition and games!  They also love money and clipboards!


That's where today's post comes in!  To create independence so I don't have to nag  remind them of their chores, I created something new for them this summer.  It's called "Get A Job".


Just like in the classroom, I call chores jobs because, well, it seems a little more fun and important.  So I have been seeing all these cute decorated clipboards all over Pinterest.  Now, I am not all that crafty even though I used to make these-
Diaper Cake!







I wanted a job list/chore sheet for my little ones and I wanted them to have a clipboard.  So, we took the little pool noodle circles ( just cut a little piece off a pool noodle).  See my post here for more details!  I bought small clipboards at the dollar store and the boys used the noodle to sponge paint a cool swirly design.  We used tempra paint and sealed it with Mod Podge.  Not all that impressive, but they really thought it was cool.





Next comes the job sheet.  Here is what I created:
I laminated these, cut apart and placed on the clipboards.  The boys will use Expo markers to check off each chore job they do.  I could have used pictures with the chores, but they are reading pretty well.  We've been going over the expectations all week and practicing.





 The clipboards are placed on a table in my office.  They know that each morning after breakfast, they are to get their clipboards and begin their jobs.  With a job, comes the need for a supervisor.  I got this next idea from the Dr. Jean workshop I attended a few weeks ago.



 There's the supervisor!  He's the one that will be in charge of making sure he and his brother get their job sheets each morning. He will also let me know at the end of the day when the jobs are completed.  And, he will get the wallets for payday (I'll talk about that next time!)  They will alternate being the "super" visor!


Isn't this a hoot!  I bought foam visors from the dollar store. And wrote "super" on the front with a sharpie.


Above is my 6.5 year old checking his job sheet for the first time.  Don't let the smile fool you!  Right after I snapped the pic, he jokingly  said, "I quit!".  I replied, "If you quit your job, then you don't get paid!".  


And that is where I will pick up tomorrow.  I'll talk about how they get "paid" and the wallets they made to keep their "money".


Do you have any creative ways for motivating your kids to complete chores?  Please share!  I'd love to read your ideas!


Smile!  It's almost the weekend!



6 comments:

  1. I love the "super"visor!!!! I am going to have to do this in the classroom!

    Faithful in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea. He actually looks excited/happy to do chores!


    Your newest follower,
    Stephany
    primarypossibilities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Stephany! Don't let that smile fool you! We start Monday and I have the clip boards ready. The boys will do rock-paper-scissors to see who is the "super" visor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! It makes household chores fun. Definitely something to consider for my future children.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...