Saturday, June 16, 2012

Chicken Soup With Rice- Poem , Recipe, and FREEBIE


Maurice Sendak is probably best known for his classic tale, Where the Wild Things AreAlthough I adore the book, I also love, love his little book of poems, Chicken Soup With Rice.  Eleven years ago, my oldest son was in first grade and had a dynamic, young, perky, teacher.  You know the kind of teacher I'm talking about:  entertaining, yet firm in expectations.  Anyway, the first month of school Alex would come home chanting this adorable poem and crack himself up and me in the process.  It was then that I fell in love with this little book! 

 September

In September, for a while
I will ride a crocodile
Down the chicken soup-y Nile

Paddle once, paddle twice
Paddle chicken soup with rice.

  Oh, the possibilities!  The poems are fun, teach the months of the year, seasons, rhyme, poetic devices, have robust vocabulary, build fluency, and the illustrations are so cute!

I didn't have a chance to use this sweet and funny book until just a few years ago.  In the mornings, I pulled out a small group of five kindergartners for reading enrichment.  I introduced the book and it was a hit!  We would do shared reading, echo reading, and choral reading.  Everyday we met we started our thirty minute session by reading our poem of the month, talking about vocabulary, rhyming words, sharing our visualizations and questions.

At the end of the year, we had a "chicken soup with rice" party!  I brought in a tablecloth, festive paper products, juice boxes, Goldfish crackers, and of course... chicken soup with rice!  We invited our principal to our little party.  In between sipping soup, students read a poem from the month they were born and then we read one all together.  We had so much fun!

Sometimes Scholastic offers this title for only a dollar!  When they do, I always buy a few more books to add to my collection.  One can never have too much chicken soup with rice!

Here's a FREEBIE reader response for you!  Click the picture to grab your copy!


 

Below is my favorite recipe for making this yummy soup.  I place all the ingredients in my crock pot and simmer on low all day.  Enjoy!


Recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 cup raw rice
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 tsp. ground sage
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • Salt to taste

June

In June I saw a charming group
Of roses all begin to droop

I pepped them up with chicken soup!
Sprinkle once, sprinkle twice

Sprinkle chicken soup with rice.




Have a chicken-soupy day!!

4 comments:

  1. I heart Chicken Soup with Rice! What a great book and activity to go with. I am so glad I found you :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    Your blog is adorable, and I love this story as well! I love the idea of a chicken soup with rice party! I might have to use that!

    Miss J
    The Joy of Educating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great activity to go with the book. I am your newest follower. I would love to have you stop by when you get a chance.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for stopping by my little blog! I appreciate your comments and am now following your blogs as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...