Friday, June 15, 2012

5 Boys+Writing=FUN!

A few days I ago I wrote about a Father's Day idea that involved making a card and homemade barbecue sauce.  That post is here.  Well, today the five boys and I sat down at the picnic table and started the cards.  I was a bit unsure of how they would react... would they think it was too "schoolish" to do on a perfectly sunny day?  Would they argue and fight over the crayons and pencils?  Would they be distracted by the neighborhood kids and the fact that it was almost snack time?


Not at all!  I showed them the cards, but they barely wanted to listen to directions.  Immediately and enthusiastically they began to complete the inside of the card and write about for what they thank their dad.  Now, these boys ages are:  4,5,6,8,12... one has Autism and one has ADHD, and all have ABS ( all boy syndrome!) However, this kept them all engaged!  Please, know that I am not bragging because this simple little activity is not the best thing I've ever created.  I give credit where credit is due and that it to these little sweeties who were so motivated to show their thankfulness for their dads. 


Here's a pic of four of them working.  My middle son decided to work on his card by himself on the porch.


Of course there were questions like,  "How do you spell food?".  In my best teacher voice I responded the way all of us teachers do:  "Stretch out the sounds like a rubber band".  My soon to be kinder said, " I hear a /f/".  Then one of the older kids chimed in and helped him spell the tricky middle part.  WOOT!  They were thinking, learning, and teaching each other and they didn't even realize it! 

They lovingly finished their writing and added pictures.  The love and admiration for their fathers was obvious.  They beamed with pride as they handed me their work so I could take pictures.  I was so proud of them and told them to "kiss their brains!"

There are many benefits to watching my three nephews every day:  my own sons adore them, they keep me on my toes and I forget that I only had four hours of sleep the night before and need a nap, and they provide a little classroom for me to try out new ideas and get my "teacher fix".

After all their hard work we enjoyed a snack of animal crackers, popsicles, and lemonade!






Chicken soup is coming tomorrow!

Have a fabulous Father's Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...